Visual Impairment Awareness Training (VIAT)
My Guide Sighted Guiding. Changing Lives
This Certified training is for any member of the community wishing to gain basic sighted guiding skills to be able to offer assistance to blind and partially sighted people in everyday life.
Bury Society for Blind and Partially Sighted People and Guide Dogs are working in partnership delivering the new My Guide scheme within the Borough of Bury, which helps people with sight loss get out of their homes and back into the community.
My Guide is designed around the development of a national standard of teaching sighted guiding techniques and involving individuals and organisations to assist visually impaired people build theirconfidence, involve their network of support and the community at large to actively solve their mobility barriers.
The My Guide programme has 6 key elements:
- Working in collaboration with external organisations.
- Delivering a National Standard of sighted guiding.
- Increasing sight loss and sighted guiding knowledge.
- Supporting confidence boosting activities to visually impaired people.
- Enabling more blind and partially sighted people to get out and about through simple sighted guiding assistance.
- Encouraging independence and less reliance on lifelong assistance from a dedicated source to get out of the home
The 3 hour Community Sighted Guide training includes:
Vision Disorders & Simulation Glasses : A chance to experience some of the Visual Impairments discussed.
Visual Impairment Quiz & Breaking Myths.
Best Practice Tips.
Demonstration of Sighted Guiding techniques including : The Grip, Narrow Spaces, Dealing with Doors, Curbs, Stairs and other Drop Offs.
For more information or to book a session please contact:
Bury Society for Blind & Partially Sighted People
0161 763 7014
Bury Society for Blind and Partially Sighted People Volunteers: Free.
Community & Partnership Organisations: £10 Per Person.
Commercial Organisations. Training held at Bury Blind Society: £30 Per Person.
Commercial Organisations. Training held at your venue, tailored to your own business needs: price on Application.